A good brush is key to your success as a painter! Whether you prefer Natural Bristle or Synthetic Bristle, it is really a personal preference. Any quality brush is an investment and should be taken care of properly. A Dixie Belle Paint Brush will make your work easier, more comfortable, and produce the best results. Treat your brushes with care from the very beginning, and they will last longer. If you treat your tools well, they'll be much more likely to be ready for use when you need them!
Just follow these guidelines and you will have a set of happy paintbrushes on your hands:
1) Always wash a new brush before you use it - this will help remove loose bristles, especially with natural bristle brushes.
- We recommend using cool water and Scrubby Soap or another mild soap to clean the bristles. This step will help prevent bristles from transferring onto your project!
2) If you need to leave your project for a while, put the brush into a plastic bag or wrap it with cellophane and add a rubber band around the handle. You can put it in the refrigerator if you need to take a short break. But, do not put your brush in the freezer.
3) Wipe off any excess paint onto a rag or paper towel before washing it.
The more paint you get out of the brush, the easier it is to get completely clean. Gently massage the soap into the bristles and rub the brush in a circular motion in the palm of your hand. Rinse the brush with bristles facing down towards the sink and repeat this step till the water runs clear.
4) Do not rest your paintbrush with bristles down in a cup of water. Avoid holding the brush head beneath the water with the bristles pointing upward, as this’ll push the paint down into the brush.
Do not soak your brushes. This will soften the glue holding the brush together and cause all of the bristles to fall out. It can also weaken the bond between the glue and the handle.
After your brush has been cleaned with soap and water, use a brush comb to remove any paint residue and to straighten the bristles before storage.
It's best to hang your brushes in order to dry them.